mpkin is one of my favorite ingredients when making vegan or even gluten free goods. This season always makes me think of pumpkins and the wonderful spice cinnamon. What many people don’t think about during the fall when ordering their pumpkin spice cookie or latte is that pumpkin can be really healthy too.
I would love to know what your favorite recipe is. Today I will share a favorite recipe of mine and also talk about how to use pumpkin in a healthy way.
Pumpkin is in the Cucurbitaceae family which is both a squash or gourd, the term pumpkin is a non-biological term which means they are all really just squash.
Pumpkin health benefits are the following:
· Fiber (1 cup of pumpkin puree has 7g) whole plant roasted is more.
· High in Vitamin A
· Vitamin C
· Luetin – great for vision health
· Nutrient dense food but also low calorie food.
One cup of cooked pumpkin (245 grams) contains (2):
· Calories: 49
· Fat: 0.2 grams
· Protein: 2 grams
· Carbs: 12 grams
· Fiber: 3 grams
· Vitamin A: 245% of the Reference Daily Intake (RDI)
· Vitamin C: 19% of the RDI
· Potassium: 16% of the RDI
· Copper: 11% of the RDI
· Manganese: 11% of the RDI
· Vitamin B2: 11% of the RDI
· Vitamin E: 10% of the RDI
· Iron: 8% of the RDI
How to eat Pumpkin:
1. Soften pumpkin in the microwave for 2 minutes then cut in half and remove the seeds and pulp.
2. Cut the pumpkin into crescent shapes and peel off the skin.
3. Cut the pumpkin in to slices.
4. Place the slices in a bowl and toss with olive oil and any spice you like.
a. My favorite is Italian seasoning or fresh oregano and thyme. Add a dash of salt.
5. Bake at 425 °F for 30 minutes . Toss pumpkin and rotate pan at 15 minutes. The goal is for them to be soft but not mushy but still hold their shape.
**I use this recipe in my buddha bowl or rice dish. **
Vegan Pumpkin Muffins (can be gluten free)
Heat Oven to 450 degrees.
In a bowl mix:
2 cups pancake mix ( Bisquick Gluten free mix)
1 cup pumpkin puree
½ cup confectioners sugar
1 tsp. ground ginger
Mix and spoon into muffin wells.
Bake for 18 minutes remove and let cool on wire rack.
*Optional: Great with Streusel on top
5 Tbsp Good Earth buttery spread
2/3 cup pancake mix ( Bisquick Gluten free mix)
2/3 cup brown sugar or granulated sugar or date sugar
pinch of salt. Sprinkle over muffins before baking.
VEGAN PUMPKIN SPICE LATTE MILKSHAKE
I Love Her…
Author: Megan from a Dash of Megnut
Prep time: 5 mins
Total time: 5 mins
Serves: 2 servings
• 2 cups sugar-free vegan ice cream such as So Delicious* (or other favorite ice cream)
• 1 cup pumpkin puree
• ½ cup - 1 cup brewed coffee, chilled
• 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice*
• ½ tbsp - 1 tbsp maple syrup
• ½ tsp vanilla
whipped coconut cream, to top
• Add all ingredients to the blender.
• Process until smooth.
• Add additional coffee if needed to thin out the milkshake or additional maple syrup to taste.
Top with whipped coconut cream if using.
If you don't have pumpkin pie spice, you can make my homemade version.* Or you can simply substitute the following:
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp allspice
pinch of cloves
So, no matter how you eat your pumpkin, please enjoy this seasonal food! Share your recipes with me- I would love it!